Build mobile business apps with SAP Enterprise App Modeler
on 25th July, 2017
Mobile business apps are in high demand, and as more people continue to use their mobile devices for business related activities, the need for enterprise mobile apps is going to see a steady rise.
In order to keep up with the customization of complex SAP apps, rapid development, fulfillment of user requirements in quick turn-around time, SAP Enterprise App Modeler (SEAM), SAP’s Rapid Mobile App Development Tool (RMAD), may be a good fit for the developer.
SEAM provides native client support and consumes mobile services such as onboarding, offline OData services, lifecycle management, and supportability. SEAM provides the metadata-driven model for mobile app development. It also allows you to manage your app lifecycle in a way that does not require you to redeploy your app every time it is updated.
What exactly is SEAM?
- SAP Enterprise App Modeler (SEAM) is a metadata driven development model that allows you to tailor complex mobile apps to your specific business needs
- SEAM allows you to take the business logic, business objects, and user interface and render it all at runtime
- The key concept for SEAM is to use metadata, which describes the actual mobile application like information about the APIs, user registrations and usage analytics of the application
- SEAM applications are basically built by files residing in a folder – the typical www folder you probably know from web development.
- You can also perform operations such as delete, export, and publish on your app through SEAM
- SEAM (SAP Enterprise App Modeler) allows you to manage your app lifecycle in a way that does not require you to redeploy your app every time it is updated
What does metadata mean in SEAM?
- The basic functionality of a mobile app is defined as metadata in a database rather than being hard-coded in a programming language
- This allows a wider pool of resources to develop applications, and provides an abstraction layer for cross platform development
- Running native code on the device provides a huge advantage in terms of power and performance
- SEAM application development is Web-based via the SEAM editor. SEAM (SAP Enterprise App Modeler) will be available as a plug-in for Web IDE.
- The client can run applications either online and offline and in future will provide the mobile qualities such as geo location, camera, etc
- A native layer is a bridge between the Native Script layer and the Java runtime engine i.e. communication with the device. This provides communication back and forth between the OData providers, device storage, etc
- Metadata definitions are interpreted by the app modeler client and translated by the Native-Script runtime engine into native controls
Benefits and Features of SEAM
- Easier for developers and technical users to build new mobile business apps or customize existing applications
- Agentry-based applications: Enables developers, technical business users to easily tailor SAP complex applications such as SAP Work Manager, SAP Services Manager, SAP Sales Manager to their business needs without writing code
- Mobile business apps built using SEAM can easily run offline and sync data when the user is back online
- SEAM (SAP Enterprise App Modeler) will greatly reduce time to market for mobile apps development for the B2E and B2C market
- It can be anticipated that 60-70% of app development projects on SAP Cloud Platform Mobile Services will be done with a metadata-driven tool in the upcoming years